Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sick in the City

We knew it was coming. It was just a matter of time. You can not live in a place where people do not get sick then move to the land of colds and flus and not expect to get sick.

It started with a slight sore throat. It always does. Then, it turned into a really bad sore throat. Now it's been 3 days (and counting) that I've been out of commission. You know, if I lived in the real world of a 9-5 job and bills to pay something like this would be devastating if my vacation/sick days were not available to cover this "time off".

It's times like this that community living can really shine. I've had friends coming by and checking on me, asking if there is anything I need and praying for me. Quite the contrast from living in the jungle in Costa Rica where everybody is so widely dispersed that if someone in you're small circle is sick you may not find out until the next Sunday when they don't show up.

W. Glyn Evans writes in his devotional "Daily With The King" -

"He (Jesus) came to convey to men a steady stream of truth from His father. The love that He showed was the father's love unveiled in human flesh"

This is what is to be seen from us believers. The fathers love for one another. This is the love that saves souls and enriches lives. This can be seen in community. What a great thing it is.

So yes, I'm sick. A summer cold. It's been a while so I guess I'm paying my dues.
At least I don't have to worry if I have enough sick days available.
-Joe

No comments: